Sunday, July 13, 2008

Beauty Abound





We took the Mackinaw City ferry over to Mackinaw Island for my 38th birthday. Thank you to everyone who called to wish me a happy birthday. It means a lot to hear from those that I love. The ferry ride was only 20 minutes and very pleasant. As we approached the island there was a feel of the Victorian era. The buildings were lovely and the homes stunning. We ate lunch at Millies on Main St and then rented bikes. The island has had a ban on automobiles since 1898 so the only way to get around is either bikes or horse and buggy. We took the 8 mile ride (yes I said 8 miles) around the entire island on our bikes. John and Bowen rode a tandem as did Jadon and I. Gabe rode own his own. We climbed to the top of a mountain to see Arch Rock, a natural wonder for everyone to enjoy. We also stopped periodically to rest and to take in the island beauty. Lake Huron is crystal clear and you can see for many feet down to the bottom. I was in awe of it really.
Upon completing our bike ride we ate fudge (can't be too healthy) and ice cream and headed back on the ferry. There is a lot of history on the island with forts to explore and mansions to tour. We opted out of that but someday it would be nice to do that. Perhaps when John and I are older. It was a picture perfect day. Cool (68) and breezy and really fun. This is just what I pictured when I dreamed of our family on this trip.
Congratulations to the Laughmans for making it Florida. We are proud of you for stepping out and making it happen. We pray for you and the Hannas, that you all maintain your sanity. LOL.
Now we are settled in for the night at Rapid River Michigan. We drove for three hours across the Upper Peninsula to get here. The drive was beautiful. The coast of Lake Michigan rivals any coast I have seen. The only drawback is the temperature, only in the 60's. I have been pleasantly surprised by the loveliness of Michigan. I feel blessed to be able explore it in this way.

2 comments:

The Miller Gang said...

What an awesome way to spend your b'day!! ; ) Sounds amazing there!! You rode 8 miles!! You go girl...but heey..niice to hear the "fudge" made it into the picture..I was afraid that the healthiness was taking over..hahahaa!! I love all the new pics that are up! I sat here today ..reading..with tears in my eyes...one..because you all sound like you are having a fun time..and I'm still so proud of you all for taking this leap...and two...cause I just miss you like crazy!!! ...JKL = Just Keep Livin'...
"Close together or far apart...you are forever in my heart"!!
Love you all!!! xoxoxo
~The Miller Gang~

Anonymous said...

i am so glad you enjoy michigan.
don't let the weather fool you--humidity abounds when away from the lakes. i miss michigan in the spring, summer and fall, but the winter has just tooooo much snow. i officiated at a wedding on mackinaw island!!
wow, i am so excited for you.
we are collecting an offering for you sunday.
woo hoo use it for where you need to; my call would be something way fun!
thats all for now
pastor bonnie